Friday, July 09, 2004

The getting of wisdon

Sometimes, when I'm not being plagued by unsettling images of Oedipal couplings, I sit and wonder: What is the Kabbalah? I know it's 'an ancient form of Jewish mysticism', but what does that mean?

I have a friend, let's call him 'Brad'. Brad is in a relationship with a boy, let's call him 'David'. David is a student of the Kabbalah and therefore dons a red string. He gave a red string to Brad and now Brad wears one too. One night, we all went out for dinner. Brad mentioned he wasn't feeling welll and expressed fears of coming down with something. David looked at him with earnest reassurance and said "You won't get sick, you're protected."
Brad looked at him quizzically. "What do you mean?" he asked.
David leant his elbow and the table, pointed to his red string and nodded with his eyebrows raised.

Having suffered a very boring illness recently, this conversation struck a chord with me. Inspired by these promises of eternal health, I intend to visit the Kabbalah website. I figure if it's good enough for Madonna-oops, sorry, Esther - surely it's good enough for me. Stay tuned.